Monday, July 30, 2012

Carbs WILL slow you down

Today I got an unexpected nutrition lesson.

I've been trying to focus on losing weight the entire month of July by exercising and counting calories. While i don't eliminate any food, counting calories has indirectly reduced how much carbohydrates I consume simply because their calorie content is high.

Today I went out for lunch with my coworkers and I ordered a 1/2 roasted chicken and some mashed potatoes. I took a bite, didn't like it (sugar in chicken? wtf?) and opted to get a chicken sandwich and some fries.

Normally, I'm not a fan of french fries but these were good. I ate the fries AND the sandwich which came on a very thick bun. I didn't really mind because even though it was high calorie, i wasn't really planning on eating anything else.

This was at noon. At 3.30 pm it was a struggle to stay awake. I drank some coffee in an attempt to stay alert at work. It didn't help. I got home from work at 6.30 and I was still very sleepy. I fought it for a bit and then gave in an took a nap. I woke up at 7.30 to go to zumba and it was a big struggle. Luckily, I convinced myself to go and that finally woke me up a bit. Throughout the class, I kept having to burp and that's when it hit me that i was STILL digesting the food I ate almost 8 hours ago!

That's crazy. If I eat a tuna sandwich on wheat bread, in 3 hours it's out of my system. This is something I'm going to research further. It makes sense how if you eat a lot of "bad" food you feel sluggish and not motivated to exercise.

If I hadn't been in the habit of working out, I probably wouldn't have forced myself to go because I was so tired.

I just feel...heavy. Talk about an incentive to eat light.

Anyone else notice something similar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts...Advice...Comments